Every year, during the Easter weekend, the big sale of Soorts-Hossegor is organized. This town, located 20 minutes north of Ondres, has the distinction of having two centers: Hossegor, the seaside resort, and Soorts, the historic town in the tradition of the Landes villages, originally inhabited by fishermen, muleteers, lumberjacks and resins. This rural life was erased by the hatching of Hossegor. Formerly district of Soorts, it will know its real boom with the breakthrough of its channel in 1813 and later the influx of tourists in search of baths of sea. From 1930 begins the construction of innumerable villas say basco-landaises, mixture Art Deco and Hispanic style that gives them a true identity. To date, there are still 183 classified houses. The well-off people of the region, and especially Dax, make it their holiday resort and the opening of the Sporting-Casino, registered in 1991 as a historic monument, attracts many tourists because of its singularity: it combines equipment play and recreation, but also sports (swimming pool, tennis courts and pediments for Basque pelota, gym). There is even at that time a boat garage.
The big sale unpacking
Hossegor has become a popular seaside resort today, but it has retained its past of elegant sports. Surfing largely contributes to the international reputation of the city by hosting high level competitions. This enthusiasm and notoriety have attracted many companies related to the world of surfing who settled in the Pédebert area in Soorts. The market leaders are established as Rip Curl, Billabong, Roxy or Quicksilver, but also the French Surf Federation, the EuroSIMA (European Surf Industry Manufacturers Association) or the ASP (Association of Surfing Professionals).
Since 1987, the essential brands of surf organize on the zone a big sale in unpacking. On an area of 10,000 m2, the factory outlets offer discounts of up to 70% on Easter weekends. This sale, which will take place this year from Thursday 18 to Sunday 21 April, attracts nearly 100,000 people, including many Spaniards.
In addition to the surfwear brands, you will find everything related to the world of skiing, surf sales and skateboarding shapers specializing in the manufacture of custom boards. There are nearly 50 brands of ready-to-wear available to you, but you will sometimes have to be patient to have access to it as long queues can be long. You can then stop at the small restaurants scattered throughout the area and offering all kinds of cuisine, or do some shopping at the many merchants present, from the wine shop to the delicatessen through the decor shop.
Around the Braderie
- On the occasion of the Grande Braderie of Hossegor, the Little Festival team, which takes place in July and August for 6 days, offers the Little Weekend at the opening of the season. The leaders of these events, Landais origin, have indeed understood that the visitors present for this great sale unpacking regretted the lack of cultural events around the event. So this year they present a scene in the show room Tube – Les Bourdaines and others in the evening on different surf spots of the neighboring town, Seignosse. No less than 4,000 festival-goers are expected for this event which will bring together the most popular names of techno and electro music.
- Friday, April 19th: techno party with Popof (FORM Music), Cosmic Boys (Legend), Paula Cazenave (Combine Audio) and Teppaz (Sonotone 2.0)
- Saturday, April 20th: more electro party with Yuksek (Partyfine), Para One, Myd (Ed Banger), E DARTA and Wallm members of the Little family.
The price is 20 € per day.
- Spring exhibition of the association Couleurs et Forme
From April 13 to 29, Hall Darmenté above Les Halles, the association Couleurs et Formes welcomes 22 exhibitors:
- 3 sculptors
- 3 visual artists and photographer
- 16 painters
- Art of ride
- Photo exhibition from April 13 to May 5, 2019 at Sporting-Casino in Hossegor.
Bernard Testemale, a native of Soustons, about twenty kilometers from Hossegor, is passionate about surfing and photography. He is regularly featured in travel magazines and surfing and makes some of their covers. It has been a worldwide reference for surf photography for thirty years.
In recent years, he has returned to the sources of photography using ancestral techniques as practiced by Nadar, the father of photography. Certain of the pictorial and emotional quality of his shots, he convinced Quicksilver to patronize an exhibition and an unpublished book on surfers Eddie Aikau. Passionate about sliding sports and mechanics, he offers us through this presentation in Hossegor a whole aesthetic universe that reveals both his mastery of technique and his sharp sense of framing.
Take advantage of this weekend to discover this charming seaside resort, very dynamic, where everyone can find the place that suits him: many bars, discotheques, but also restaurants, including a gourmet directly on the beach, and city center where alongside shops dedicated to surfing and ready-to-wear and local shops.